Welcome to my site. I research, teach and write about topics associated with sustainable development especially those associated with business, consumption, supply chains, personal and organisational behaviour
Welcome to my website. Here you can find information on my current projects and activities.
My research projects linked to funded awards from the ERSC, British Academy, Nuffield Foundation, Newton Fund, GCRF, and British Council are also profiled here
My main research and teaching interests are in the areas of:
- Social Purpose Ventures: such as organic, fair trade, environmental and social enterprises (longitudinal evolution, founder values, and the role these enterprises play in sustainable development and poverty alleviation)
- Informal economy entrepreneurs and base of the pyramid business models, especially youth and women
- Inclusive Growth and poverty alleviation linked to 'development through enterprise' approaches
- Green Supply Chain Management: especially reverse logistics, supplier management, purchasing policies, key drivers controlling operational practices and greening international supply chains.
- Green values and education: including consumer values, integrating environmental matters into a business school curriculum, formative influences.
- Consumer and societal social and environmental actions, attitudes and behaviours, especially the role of sustainability discourse, formative experiences and shifting social norms.
I am a member of the ESRC peer review college (2012 - present), the Newton Social Science panel, and other grant review schemes. I am on the editorial boards of the journals of Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, as well as the International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research.
Visit my Google Scholar profile at http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=QWlrllQAAAAJ&hl=en
2019 June – August United Nations Project on Youth Entrepreneurship: The Role of Micro-, Small-, and Medium- Enterprises (MSMEs) in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
2019 April – 3 day workshop with NGOs, academics, policymakers and community representatives from within producer communities in Amazon
2018 December – Invited expert at the United Nations Youth Social Entrepreneurship Meeting. Contributing to report and presenting research paper.
2018 Keynote speaker at the Social Enterprise World Forum Academic Symposium held in Glasgow (September) and debate panel member at main event in Edinburgh
2018 Speaker, facilitator and pre-colloquium workshop organiser at Social Enterprise Colloquium Pretoria South Africa organised by Luven, Rutgers and Pretoria (August)
2018 Panel speaker at Impact!Social Enterprise 1st world event (Ashoka/British Council) held in South Africa in June
2018 Four day visit to producer communities in the Jurua River, Amazon (May)
Latest News last updated June 2019
New position as Chair of Entrepreneurship at University of Leeds (June 2019)
Adjunct faculty for semester at sea Jan -April 2018 (see details on this website with updates)
Awarded Newton Advanced Fellowship with Prof Pinheiro in Brazil looking at indigenous entepreneurs in value chains in the Amazon (Sept 2016 / 3 years)
Awarded RCUK-NRF South Africa Partnerships Programme award starting November 2015 for 3 years.
Prof Diane Holt, Chair in Entrepreneurship
Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies, Leeds University Business School, University of Leeds
Maurice Keyworth Building, Leeds, LS29JT
Tel: +44 (0) 113 34 32481 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office details: Room G27 in Charles Thackrah Building
Copies of some of my publications are available at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Diane_Holt
Selected recent publications
- Rivera-Santos, M., Holt, D., Littlewood, D. and Kolk, A. (2015). Social Entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa. Academy of Management Perspectives. 29(1), pp. 72-91
- Holt, D and Littlewood, D (2015). Identifying, Mapping and Monitoring the Impact of Hybrid Firms. California Management Review 57(3), pp. 107-125
- Littlewood, D. and Holt, D. (2018) Social Entrepreneurship in South Africa: Exploring the Influence of Environment, Business and Society Vol. 57(3) 525– 561
- Holt, D and Littlewood, D (2017). Waste Livelihoods – through the lens of bricolage. Business Strategy and the Environment, 26(2), pp.253–264
- Graham, S., Graham, B. and Holt, D. (2018) Antecedents and outcomes of downstream environmental logistics practices. International Journal of Production Economics 196, pp. 356-365.
- Littlewood, D. and Holt, D. (2018) Social Enterprise Resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa. Business Strategy and Development – 1(1), pp. 53-63
- Barkemeyer, R., Figge, F., Hoepner, A., Holt, D., Kraak, J., and Yu, P-S (2017). Media Coverage of Climate Change: An International Comparison, Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space, 35(6), pp.1029-1054.
- Littlewood D and Holt (forthcoming) Hybrid Organisations in Sub-Saharan Africa: Insights for Research and Practice Handbook on Hybrid Organisations. David Ellis and Colin Rochester (Eds) Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Littlewood, D.C. and Holt, D. (forthcoming) How social enterprises can contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – A conceptual framework. In: Apostolopoulos, N., Al-Dajani, H., Holt, D., Jones, P. and Newbery, R., (eds.) Entrepreneurship and the Sustainable Development Goals. Emerald.
- Holt, D and Littlewood, D (forthcoming) Social Entrepreneurship and Africapitalism – Exploring the Connections. In Kenneth Amaeshi, Adun Okupe and Iwafiokun Idemudia (Eds) Africapitalism: Rethinking the role of business in Africa. Cambridge University Press.
- Littlewood, D and Holt, D (2018) Social Entrepreneurship and CSR Theory: Insights, Application and Value. Research Handbook on Small Business Social Responsibility: Global perspectives, Laura J. Spence, Jedrzej George Frynas, Judy Muthuri and Jyoti Navare (Eds.) Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1-784-711818 pp. 292-319
- Holt, D. and Littlewood, D. (2015). The informal economy as a route to market in sub-Saharan Africa – observations amongst Kenyan informal economy entrepreneurs In S. Nwanko and K. Ibeh (Eds.) The Routledge Companion to Business in Africa, Routledge 978-0-415-63545-5 pp. 198-217.
- Littlewood, D. and Holt, D. (2015). Social and Environmental Enterprises in Africa: Context, Convergence and Characteristics. In Bitzner, V. Hamman, R., Hall, M., and Griffin EL, E.W., (Ed.) The Business of Social and Environmental Innovation, New Frontiers in Africa: Springer International Publishing ISBN: 978-3-319-04050-9. pp. 27-48.
- Littlewood, D. and Holt, D. (2014). Addressing rural social exclusion in the developing world - exploring the role of African social purpose ventures. In C Henry and G. McElwee (eds.) Exploring Rural Enterprise: New Perspectives on research, policy and practice, Emerald Contemporary Issues in Entrepreneurship Research Series Volume IV, Emerald Publishing. ISSN: 2040-7246 pp. 105-131